Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Sweet, Sweet Matcha!

Sooooo, I just got back from seeing Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows with friends.  I think it was a pretty good movie.  There were parts I didn't like, but even the parts I didn't enjoy as much were still visually pleasing.
And there was Robert Downy Jr.  He is also quite visually pleasing.  Oh yes.

Anyway, afterward we were in the mood for tea (surprise, surprise) but World Tea House had already closed by then.  Our second choice for tea, DavidsTea, was also closed.  We settled on Second Cup, because I like their hot chocolate.

It looks like Second Cup is starting to include some better tea choices....but the loose leaf tea they sell, while in a bag that would be big enough to let the whole loose tea expand, looks like it's made of plasticy gauze in the pictures.  Nuh-uh, not for me. I don't want plasticy stuff in my hot drink, thank you very much.

Instead I figured it would be safe to go with a matcha latte.  It's just steamed milk and matcha powder mixed in, right?

Holy sweet matcha, it was sweet matcha.  Very sweet.

And this brings us to the reason that I like Second Cup's hot chocolate:  their drinks are really, really sweet.  They tend to be sweet, and then covered in whipped cream.  This kinda works with their hot chocolate which tastes like hot sugar in a cup anyway.  I don't think it works for a green tea latte, because the actual matcha taste is pretty much totally drowned out with that much sugar. (But not whipped cream.  I think that's just for the hot chocolate.)  They either used very sweet matcha with sugar added to it, or they added a sweetener to the drink while making it.  Either way, it's too sweet for me.  Now, don't get me wrong, I don't think that the drink was unenjoyable; I just don't think it tasted like matcha.  Not bad if you're going for green sugar in a cup though.

Sweet Matcha Latte:  It looks a bit like pond scum, and tastes like sugar!

...Ok, so maybe I shouldn't go into advertising.  Good thing working in advertising wasn't one of my lifelong dreams.
As for looking like pond scum, well...that always happens with matcha lattes.  Luckily, they taste far better than they look.  If I had been thinking, I would have snapped a picture.

In other tea-related news, I found my tin of ginger mint tea!  I wish I'd had some with me on New Years Eve.  Not because I had been drinking to the point of sickness, but because I was eating sushi.  I was eating sushi to the point of self-hatred.
I paid for all you can eat, and I was going to eat all that I could, dammit!  A few sips of ginger mint after shoving my face with as much rice and seaweed wrapped seafood as I could would have really helped me.  Oh well.  Lesson learned for next year.

As for my upset tummy backup tea, the licormint tea, I still like it quite a bit, but I think I'll stick with something with a bit of ginger in it for when I'm feeling sick. (And by "with a bit of" I mean "50-100%")  I still have yet to try the licormint iced.  I think it would make a lovely, sweet drink cold.  I also found the website for the store where my friend picked it up, The Feel Good Store.  Unfortunately the site doesn't really have anything on their products, but it does have their twitter and facebook feeds to follow.

That's really it for me and tea lately.

'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment