Sunday, January 8, 2012

Notes from Experimenting

Alright, if you've seen the few posts I've been re-blogging on my Bitch With a Teacup tumblr, you know that it's pretty much all matcha deserts.

Well, I want deserts that feature some other kind of tea!

So I decided to make some:  Chai Nog Latte Cupcakes!

...except they still need some work, and I'm all out of egg nog now.  I'm still messing around with the recipe.  I'll post the actual recipe and some pictures once it's perfected, but for now, I'll share my "study" notes:

-I am baking powder/soda dyslexic. :(
-wasn't chai-y enough. Added a bit more cinnamon. No cloves left. Must get grinder.
-Added 1 egg.  No egg in original recipe. WTF?
-Batch 1 did not rise.  Needs more baking powder.
-Batch 2 still did not rise. Added a bit more. Now batter tastes baking powdery.
-Added a pinch of ginger and cloves. Stole mom's coffee grinder. Added liberal sprinkling of sugar.
-Batch 3, cupcakes are rising.
-My "testers" say there is too much ginger.  I believe they are crazy.  May still scale back the ginger a bit.
-Finally getting the right shape. Over-baked batch 4.  Batch 5 was out on time though.
-Cupcakes are too dry and sticky.  Added more oil.
-Cupcakes are no longer super sticky.  Yay oil!


And I'm sure that next time I get around to it there will be even more notes to add.  Hopefully next time I won't mix up the baking powder and baking soda again...

'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment