Saturday, August 27, 2011

I've been busy doing stuff.

Ok, I haven't really been so busy that I couldn't update ever, and I haven't actually been keeping track of what I've had to drink every day.  Here are, however, a few notable experiences I've had lately with tea:

Russian Potatoes.  I've been saying I wanted to try them for a while, but I only just got to trying them now.
Oh, and my ability to write a recipe down is pretty shit too, so forgive my vague instructions.

First try went...alright.  I used some of my Russian Caravan from World Tea House.  The idea was to brew it  strong, but got impatient and didn't really wait long enough.  Plus, I was using my friend's IngenuiTea Teapot and for those who don't know, the tea comes out of the bottom when you press it up against your cup (or in my case, pot of mashed potatoes).  I accidentally pressed it up against the side of the pot while trying to put it away and splashed way more tea than I actually wanted.  I ended up with rather watery potatoes.

So I made it a stew instead.

Russian Stew!

I'm staying at said friend's place for a bit, so I didn't have as much food to choose from as I would like.  I just threw in the few veggies I had around, and some leftover chicken mom had given me.  The veggies were all steamed ahead of time and then thrown together rather than actually cooked in the stew because I had never actually intended to make a stew in the first place.

So, my recipe for this looks a bit like this:

Cook Potatoes.
Make tea
Get impatient with tea and add it too early
Mess up and add too much tea
Give up and throw everything in one pot
Eat.

It was actually pretty delicious.  It made my chicken taste smokey. <3

Oh, note to anyone considering this, do not brew Russian Caravan (or anything else with a Lapsang Souchong base) in a plastic pot without immediately rinsing it out. I had to give it a looong bath.  Live and learn I guess.


Second attempt went much better.  Basically I didn't mess up on all the things I messed up on last time:

Brew tea ahead of time.
Start mashing potatoes first.
Only add enough tea to make them more mashable
Do whatever the heck you want with your veggies.
Serve with other things.  And corn.  Always with corn.
Nom.


Up next, cookies!



So, I decided yesterday that I would make cookies.  I was going to bake something, and it was going to be delicious.  Nothing would stop me from baking something, nothing.


Also, I haven't baked anything besides apple crumble in forever and I basically have no idea what the fuck I'm doing.

Yesterday was vanilla almond cookies with a bit of Earl Grey. which eventually just turned into one giant cookie while baking. Live and learn....

So, next time I want to try making a chai-spiced cookie (possibly with some black tea added, but probably mostly just cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and cardamom).

I also just picked up some matcha powder for baking.  A quick google search brought me to This Blog where I found a recipe for neat looking matcha cookies.

The matcha cookies are next on my list of things that I will bake.  Nothing will stop me.  Except maybe work.  And wedding showers.  And cleaning.  And more work.

But once I have some free time, I promise you, there will be more cookies. >:|

And in the future: Cupcakes.  I will make adorable cupcakes someday, just you watch me.

That's it for now.  I will share more news on my tea-cooking when I have more news to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment