Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I Love Yams

Oh yes, I have a new food-love.  But first, my depressing Sunday:

One cup of chai tea (Tali's Masala Chai, World Tea House) all day.  Didn't get a lunch break, didn't get a chance to run to the kettle.  It was so sad.

Monday:  It was pretty awesome.  I had the day off, and was absolutely craving some yam tempura rolls from I Love Sushi .  I went there once with a friend and absolutely loved them, so I just had to go back and try them again.

Had. To.  Definitely needed to have yam rolls more than, say do my laundry.  Way more.

On the way there, I filled up my mug with some black tea (Vanilla Black, World Tea House) and went off on my quest for delicious, delicious deep fried yam.

This time though, instead of being a total cheapass like I had been on my last visit (where I only got the yam rolls), I also tried their unagi maki rolls and salmon rolls.  After that...I think I have a  new favorite sushi place!  :D

It also just happens to be less than a minute away from World Tea House, (think, across a street and down a couple buildings distance) so once I was done eating I decided to get myself some tea.

I've basically given up following any real sort of order in trying the teas there, so I decided to try one of the green teas.  I went with a pot of Japanese Cherry.

I really liked it, but I don't think it's the sort of tea that I would just drink any time.  I think I would have to be in the right mood for it.  It was floral, delicate, and sweet.  I stayed long enough to get it re-steeped (I was waiting to meet a friend downtown anyway) and it re-steeped quite well.  It wasn't as cherry-like the second time, but it was a bit rosier, and a bit sweeter.  Very nice.  Kind of....fancy, actually.  Like, if all of the teas I've tried were people, Japanese Cherry would be the one all dressed up for a fancy function of some sort.  But it would be one during the day where nobody drinks too much booze.

...all this makes me wonder if I'm the only one that wonders what different teas would wear to a party...

That's all for yesterday.
This morning I decided to go for more black (Vanilla Black, World Tea House) which not only got me going once I got to work, but kept my hands nice and warm on the way there.

...In fact, sometimes, if I'm wearing my big coat with the big pockets, I'll put my thermos right into one of my pockets and put my hand beside it (like I said, big pockets) to keep my hands warm.  Once one hand is warmed up enough, I switch pockets.  It's great on days where I've forgotten my gloves.  Most delicious hand warmer ever.

At lunch I went up to my usual place, and got a cuppa Spring Jasmine.  I'm not usually a fan of Jasmine, because I think it can be kind of sweet, but it usually turns out really bitter...But oh wow!  It was really, really good.  The smell alone was wonderful, but the taste was also very sweet.  It was so good that one of two things must have happened in order for it to be so much better than the .  Either a) Other places where I've gotten jasmine tea in the past prepared it wrong or b) World Tea House sprinkled magical fairy unicorn dust in with the tea leaves.  Must be one of them.  Possibly both.

On my way out I got some more hot water for my mug, and came back to work.  I'm just finishing that cup off now.  Hopefully I'll have a chance to run to the kettle before work is over.

Finally, it turns out that there's another tea place even closer to my work than World Tea House.  I think tomorrow I might check out Sawadee Tea House.  It's really close by, so I've got no good reason not to go.  Only down side is that it looks like it closes the same time I get out of work, so I'll have to go during lunch some time.

That's all for now.  I think I'm going to start hunting for a nice tea set.  Well, maybe just one that can serve more than four people.  Actually, even one that can serve more than three people would be nice, since I broke one of my teacups. >:(  I want to throw a tea party where all of my friends can get together and basically bitch about things.  I think tea goes quite well with bitching.  Hence this blog.

Not that I've been bitching in the blog lately.  Amazingly, I've managed to talk mostly about tea.  I'm kind of shocked that I've managed to stay so focused for this long.  Oh, but don't worry.  I'm sure eventually I'll have a long, ranting post about some topic that doesn't really have anything to do with tea, but just happened to come up in conversation with someone while I was drinking tea.  It's just a matter of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment